New Place, New Set Up

When I moved into my new place I was able to finally set up my stereo. I didn't bring any cds, all in storage. All I brought was my vinyl.

One, it wouldn't do as well in storage as the cds; two, there are far less of them (200 v 2000); three, they are cooler.

The sad thing is that since I didn't have the stereo set up at the house, I had limited access to listen to them. Now that I've moved I've decided to listen to everything.

I started with Rush Moving Pictures. It seemed appropriate. The first tape I played in the first car I owned? Moving Pictures.

I love this record. Side 1 is perfect. 'Tom Sawyer', 'Red Barchetta', 'YYZ', 'Limelight'. Done.

Side two, I've come to love. 'The Camera Eye', the last 10+ minute Rush song, has always been my favorite on side 2. 'Witch Hunt' is a swirling mass of dark fire and 'Vital Signs' is a jagged attack from a shiny shark. The two songs oppose each other perfectly, completely different, yet both Rush. Most definitely a Top 100 album.


Next, Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin. This was the first cd I owned and another Top 100 album. It must be enjoyed as a gatefold.



The record ends just like the Rush album. Two opposite songs. 'No Quarter' and 'The Ocean'. Different, yet both Zep.

'No Quarter' is about as deep and dreary as Zep gets, while 'The Ocean' floats. If you have the record, pull it out and check out the patterns of these two songs grooves. The priors' grooves are eight bands of loves, while the album closer has grooves that resemble the rings of Saturn. Five bucks from Edward Mccay, mines in really good shape, which makes me happy.


Miles Davis Kind of Blue was next. The first 180 gram from my collection.

It's weird listening to it without 'Flamenco Sketches' twice. My cd copy has an alternate version of it after the five songs of Kind of Blue, and that's the only way I've heard it for years until I bought the vinyl.

Another Top 100 album, I can listen to it on just about any kind of day, in any kind of mood. This is one of those 'even if you don't like jazz, you'll like this' albums. I have a very good feeling that I'll be wearing this record out in the coming years.


The final Top 100 album in the run was Selling England By The Pound by Genesis.

As it proudly proclaims on the record label, my copy is on The Famous Charisma Label. I've owned it for more than 20 years and its got a huge mark on the front and lots of little scratches on the back. Only a small skip the opening track 'Dancing With The Moonlit Knight'.

A well balanced album. Four songs over eight minutes (two reach 11 minutes), three under 4:07 and every single one of them good, even the one Phil sings, 'More Fool Me'.
A Unifaun!

The lyrics are pure Gabriel and the album opens with the line:
"Can you tell me where my country lies?
Said the unifaun to his true loves eyes.
It lies with me! cried the queen of maybe -
for her merchandise, he traded in his prize."

What? Unifaun? Someone took a hard right at Tolkien and went straight towards pre-Victorian pulp noir. Then 'I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)' opens with the immortal line "There's always been Ethel".

The lyrics veer everywhere from there, the straight forward boy-wants-girl of 'The Cinema Show', to the 'The Battle of Epping Forest' retelling of a east-end protection rights gang war (all eleven minutes of it), finally ending with the bizarre 'Aisle of Plenty'.

"BIRDS EYE DAIRY CREAM SPONGE ON OFFER THIS WEEK. It's Scrambled Eggs." Again. What? I guess you should expect just about anything from someone who would dress up like a giant flower, or covered in giant spheres.

Yes, so the first four things I listened to were all Top 100 albums, but who cares. Its my collection, and my project, I can proceed how I like.

Comments

  1. Robbie Robertson was taking over as the main songwriter, taking sole credit on 8 of the 11 songs and co writing two others.
    gta 5 apk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Houses Of The Holy, Led Zeppelin

The Dude & I

Daylight Savings Vinyl