My Big Unit

It's a sad day for baseball fans today. The last man to win 300 games has retired today. Randy Johnson has called it quits. Second on the strikeout list with over 4800, and the scary thing is he's still another 900 short of Nolan Ryan.

The Big Unit may be the last person to win 300 games for at least a generation, but may be best known for the reactions he pulled from others. John Kruk's half-assed swings after having a ball thrown over his head, Larry Walker's switch to the right handed box during an All-Star game, and of course, who can forget this.

He is easily the most dominating pitcher during my lifetime and holds a special place in my heart because he was the anchor on my AL fantasy team from a long time ago which would have won the World Series, but the season ended early due to the strike. It wasn't just his position on my teams that made him enjoyable to watch, it was the way he pitched, he never wanted to lose and would do anything to make it happen. The play-in game in 95, a complete game win over the Angels on short rest, coming back the next day to win Game 7 vs the Yanks in 2001. Now that's a pitcher, who needs 4 days rest.

I want to thank RJ for a great career. See you in Cooperstown in 5 years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Houses Of The Holy, Led Zeppelin

The Dude & I

Daylight Savings Vinyl