Tim Tebow & The Year I Turn 40

2010, the year I turn 40. That's just scary. A fifth decade on earth is just starting. Let me sum up the past 4 decades in a few words.
The 70s. Atari 2600 and my grandmothers basement.
The 80s. High school and lots of trouble.
The 90s. Paying back everything caused by said trouble.
The 00s. Dated some. Did little else.

The good news is the last decade shouldn't be that hard to top. All I would have to do is grow a single pepper or tomato plant to maturity and blammo. That's the longest I've ever kept a plant alive. Although this is not completely my fault. I inherited my mothers black thumb. Its helped me kill every plant I own. I'm pretty sure I would kill kudzu if you put it in my apartment. Nothing survives. You think something would flourish after all the slashing & burning.

Right now I am watching Tim Tebow and the Gators dismantle Cincinnati. Games like this are the perfect argument about why non-BCS schools shouldn't play for the National Championship, even if they are undefeated; and that the SEC plays football at a different speed than teams in other conferences.
At the half Tebow's stat line 20/22 321 yards 3 tds. Are you kidding me? I don't even have lines like that on my XBox. He's even rushed 8 times for 28 yards, outgaining the Cincinnati running backs by 18 years.
I also maybe one of the few people in the world without a love/hate relationship with Tebow. People hate him because they say 'he's not going to be good as a pro', or (most likely) their team just got stomped by Florida. He's been the best college football player I've ever seen. Two National Championships, a Heisman (top 5 two other years), SEC TD records, you don't get those by not being talented. The people who love him (mostly Gators and the media) use the arguments I made to say the same thing I do. That he's the best college football player of the last 25 years.
Do I think he's too good to be true? A bit. Is he a product of the system he plays in? Yes. Does he have a creepy relationship with his coach? Hell yeah. Was his crying at the end of Alabama game phony? No. Will he be a good pro? I don't know, check back the year I turn 50.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Houses Of The Holy, Led Zeppelin

The Dude & I

Daylight Savings Vinyl